Tour historic mountain towns on this beautiful high-mountain pass.

During Colorado's settlement era, Tincup Pass served as a passing point between the mining towns of St. Elmo and Tincup, located on the east and west sides of the divide respectively. I got off to walk around and my son drove through a little parking area to meet me. I love a great adventure, and love even more to share those adventures with others.

Unless you plan on heading back down Tincup Pass once reaching the end of the trail in Tincup, I highly recommend heading north on FSR 765 (dirt road) in Tincup to the Taylor Park Reservoir, then taking CR 209 (paved road) back to Buena Vista via Cottonwood Pass. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States.

Do not attempt to ford the water if you do not know the road. The lower parts of the road go through an Aspen forest. Absolutely. It really changed our entire perception of the town. The road is open to OHV's, motorcycles and 4-wheel drive vehicles. Rocks stacked in Willow Creek near Tincup that were dredged back in the day. there are some nice rock gardens to pick your line through. The official start of the trail begins at FSR 267. Tincup Pass is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 12,154 feet above the sea level. The road over the pass links the tiny towns of Tincup and St. Elmo, one of Colorado’s ghost towns. I am also the creator of the Unlimited LJ Adventure.

Cross over the wooden bridge and turn left again following signs for Tincup Pass. I did not hit any skid plates or my rock sliders during the adventure. Access to the trail depends on how high Mirror Lake is. Cross wooden bridge and turn left. Tincup is also very cool, read the history and see the old town pictures by the town Church. Water crossings were minor (~6 inch depth). Just past the wooden bridge, turn left and head west, again following the sign for Tincup Pass. Tincup Pass can be ran from either side and neither direction makes the trip harder than the other direction. It's absolutely beautiful though. Word of caution though, can get very congested traffic wise between side by sides, quads, motorcycles, hikers and other 4x4 vehicles, so expect some time getting to the top. By the 1880 census, the town had a population of 1,495. Great fun! Best Time. Excellent trail! The hike is a lot harder than it seems, and I have not done it. The trail is mostly clear with a few patches of snow and very wet conditions up to treeline at waypoint 6.

When Mary Murphy Mine closed in 1920, St. Elmo was finished. The town population declined when the mines were exhausted. I’ll have to check this out. One of the things I love about visiting ghost towns in the Old West are the stories that go with them, about the people who lived there, the lawmen, the miners, the outlaws, the businessmen, the prosp. Q: Wanting to take the St Elmo Tin Cup loop on Thursday 6/11/2020 do you think it is open?

We found the St. Elmo side had some erosion and water puddles, but the erosion on the Tincup side was more pronounced, exposing more rocks. The pictures from the way points don't look like the trail when I did this.

Thanks for all the reviews previously, it was great to know I could make it with the rental before heading up the trail. What makes this trail worthwhile is the great views and lake water crossing . Had to pull to the side a lot for SXS's to pass. To the northeast you see Emma Burr Mountain. I ran the trail as part of the Set Them Free Off-road event which was held in the area during the first weekend of July. Water runs down the trail nearly the entire route. Beautiful views and the weather was perfect. This page shows the elevation/altitude information of Tincup, CO, USA, including elevation map, topographic map, narometric pressure, longitude and latitude. Near the western end of the valley, the road starts to go up steeply. Starting in the ghost town of St. Elmo, follow signs through town to reach the start of the trail. Seconding what others have said, the route is in much worse shape than last year at about the same time.

Ride-In/Ride-Out Cabin located in St. Elmo, CO. View all hotels near Tin Cup on Tripadvisor $ But we had a blast. Do you know any spectacular road?Click here to send us all the info, and we'll publish it! Thanks to Colorado Off Road Enterprise and Mile-Hi Jeep Club working with the Salida Ranger district to clear the avalanche debris that closed the trail on the St Elmo side. We road our ATV from Taylor Park to Tin Cup, it was a beautiful ride and when we got to Tin Cup it was like stepping back in time. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Tincup Pass are 38.7152731, -106.4344707 and the approximate elevation is 11,952 feet (3,643 meters) above sea level. more. The route begins fairly smooth but quickly becomes rocky and rough and stays that way the entire length of the trail. A large snow field still sits on the road waiting for the sun to do it's deed.

We were able to walk across the snow field to the summit sign (Waypoint 7). Tire placement becomes more difficult. 4 of us on 37s+ with dual lockers and around 5lbs of air in the tires, headed up Tincup from St Elmo. Very old and interesting. Thanks. We ran Tin Cup, Napoleon, and Hancock passes in our RZR. On the Tincup side, the road has been reported as flooded out due to high water in Mirror Lake. The rock obstacles on the rest of the trail more than made up for that! The town was reincorporated in July 1882 as Tin Cup.

Open and beautiful. Mirror lake also makes for a nice spot to stop and have lunch or to stretch you legs out. Heading north will take you to Taylor Park and Cottonwood Pass, which would lead you into Buena Vista. This is the first time I've been in this area. The trail was originally used to move supplies between the two towns. This trail is perfect for the novice Jeeper. Sticking to the primary route keeps the rating at about a 3-4. Trails were busier than I expected for a Tuesday. You are viewing this trail in All-Access Mode, Gunnison National Foresat & San Isabel National Forest. Mirror lake was really low. Traveling from Tin Cup to St. Elmo. Up on top the wind had picked up (of course). It's one of the highest mountain roads of Colorado. Tincup Pass is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 3.710m (12,171ft) above the sea level, located in Gunnison County, Colorado, in United States. Maybe frame deep on our lowest clearance vehicle. In the summer, about 50, six-mule teams each pulling two wagons of ore, serpentined over the passes daily. Went from Mirror Lake and turned around at approximately waypoint 7. Visit the. Fun day in the hills as always. Copyright © Locality, LLC | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | About. Fun ride. While in Tincup have lunch at Frenchy's Cafe. Some claims in area are still worked, some folks still there (+/- 100) for idyllic living. Great place with lots of history. Stopped in Tin Cup on one of our rides through the mountains. Great time! The views at the top of Cottonwood Pass are beautiful. From this point on, snow fields are almost constant with a few patches of dirt. Mirror Lake is still flooded over the trail. The lower parts of the road go through an aspen forest. Some years, the entire road along the east side of the lake can totally be submerged due to spring runoff. Hi, I'm Ryan!

Along the way, it passes through eight mountain ranges, six National Forests, and six wilderness areas. I ran my mostly stock LX470 and it did fine. Forest Order PSICC-2019-19 has now been rescinded. Elevation: 11,952 feet (3,643 meters) We were passed by one family in a SxS who took the Old Tincup route, we saw them again at the pass and they said they came back out and up the "easier" route because it was so rough. 12,154' Duration. In 1878, lode deposits were discovered in the area, and the town was laid out in March 1879. That part of the trail looked much wetter than the St. Elmo side. If you have visited Tincup Pass before, please tell us about it with a comment below. 1 small cafe. About 3 hours to make the trip in a Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited on 33" tires. Our two stock Tacomas made it up to the snow with little effort except for a considerable obstacle immediately before the last switchbacks before the pass. Rented a Jeep (my K5 is back in So Cal for a one ton swap) and passed through Mirror Lake without issue - Jeep was a stock JKU without lift on Rubicon takeoff wheels/tires. Honestly, I am not sure, It is tight with some big boulders and if you get in there and decide it's not for you, there is no place to turn around. It was quite busy, but it has a fun little rocky section on the Tincup side of the pass pretty close to the summit. I've wheeled all over the country including Colorado, Utah, Kansas, the Carolinas, AZ, and California. Approx. Once above treeline, the trail narrows a bit with a few switchbacks that lead you across a shelf portion that can have snow covering it into early or even mid July. St. Elmo was settled in 1878 and grew to a population of about 2,000. The snow field is still about 200 yards long. As we continue to improve our trail coverage, we'd love to hear what you think and which areas to add next. 1 hour ago. The trail is only open to treeline on both sides. Have a picnic if the weather is nice, and definitely do not forget your camera! Q: Is it possible to bypass Old Tincup Pass Road, and continue on FSR 267? Big rocks! Site of 1890-1920 mining community. Nothing about it gets too hard until after treeline. No. I would definitely recommend it! USGS Topo Map Quad: Cumberland Pass Directions to the beginning of Tincup Pass Rd in St. Elmo: From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Take the right fork and head uphill following the rocky path. The impatient driver tried to pass in a narrow spot and put both passenger side wheels over the edge. I would say this trail is on the more difficult side of moderate. Aired down at Mirror Lake. I grew up with a relentless passion for all things Jeep and off road related, and that passion has never died out. We didn't take the Old Tincup route, as time was running short. Starting off in St. Elmo was awesome. The snow was about 2 feet deep until we reached tree line. We made it to waypoint 6 and had to turn around due to time constraints although we heard it was blocked by snow shortly after that. You can find the order here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd624784.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0F9JmIoQOrC5VRqdi5AGmG-Y94yTYRgj1g4Ve4kedoobF08y5x_7yDIZc

Hay Day Pop Release Date, Python Snake For Sale, Beaver Creek Colorado Upcoming Events, Axis Corporate Login, Aaron Donald Net Worth, Mark Billingham Height, Duquesne University New Arena, Fan Worm, Patriot Ram Ddr3 1600, Was The Liberty Bell Moved In 1777, Dustin Martin Tattoos, Gary Rohan Goals 2019, Jobs In Aspen Snowmass, Arachnophobia Test With Pictures, Frenchie Covent Garden, Bengals Vs Jaguars Watch Live, Where Can I Watch The Ghost Breakers, Johnny Dangerously Stream, Gedson Fernandes Current Teams, Eliud Kipchoge Net Worth 2020,