“He was so fun to be around and he would have been the life and soul of this event. Despite bagging 19 league goals in 1980/81, Norwich City were relegated at the end of the campaign. Analysis and opinion from our chief football writer. She said: “Today would have been Uncle Justin’s 59th birthday and what a way to celebrate it on his behalf. We will not pass your details on to any third parties. The Norwich City player’s niece, Amal Fashanu, received the the award on his behalf at the museum in Manchester on Wednesday – the first time an openly gay sportsperson has been recognised as such. Justin Fashanu was inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame profile for the late Norwich City forward Justin Fashanu, England's only openly gay male professional footballer. Justin featured for non-league outfits Southall and Leatherhead and had an unsuccessful trial with Newcastle United, but would ultimately join Torquay United in November 1991. He went on to score 15 goals in 41 appearances for the Gulls, before finishing his career the likes of Airdrieonians and Hearts. For the half term holiday (w/c 26 October), we will be open Wednesday - Sunday, 10am - 5pm.

He remains an inspiration and a source of courage on and off the pitch. A dangerous and promising forward, Justin Fashanu was the first professional footballer in England to come out as gay - and remains the only male professional player in the country to have done so.

To this day, Justin remains the only gay male professional footballer in this country. We may also very occasionally send you information about the museum via Facebook. Amal campaigns against discrimination in football and has, giant rainbow banner of Fashanu was unfurled. Di Cunningham, former chair of Pride in Football and founder of Proud Canaries, Norwich City’s LGBT+ fan club, said, “It’s wonderful that Justin now has his rightful place among the country’s footballing greats; a magical player in his heyday as a Canary, he’s also remembered for the dedication he showed to the Norfolk community where he was raised. Please enter your email address and password to login.

Please enter the following information to sign up. How to get into football - the most popular sport in the world, with clubs and facilities throughout the UK. "But I think until that moment it's going to be very difficult because obviously Justin did come out and took his own life, so a lot of people associate that and think right, if I come out, am I going to have all these kinds of pressures myself.".

Within a month, he was making his league debut for the Canaries, and fast became a regular fixture in John Bond's side. He impressed in his stint on the South Coast, scoring three times in nine games, but finances prevented the Saints from making the deal permanent. Items from Justin Fashanu's playing career, including a shirt worn during an England under-21 fixture. M4 3BG, © 2015 National Football Museum. The legacy of his treatment continues to hang over football.

She added: "I guess that world doesn't want to accept a footballer being gay because of the image. The Justin Fashanu Foundation was co-founded by Amal, who produced the BBC Three documentary Britain's Gay Footballers in 2012. Late footballer Justin Fashanu has been posthumously inducted into the National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame, in a moving ceremony. The museum will also honour Fashanu by launching a LGBT+ tour that will include details of his career. Late footballer Justin Fashanu has been posthumously inducted into the National Football Museum ’s Hall of Fame, in a moving ceremony. Justin Fashanu was talented, smart, well-loved and charming. More: JUSTIN Fashanu was inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame in February this year.. Please note: Fashanu was soon frozen out of the first team and sent on loan to Southampton in 1982. His stunning strike against Liverpool in February 1980 - a stunning volley from outside the area - was voted BBC Goal of the Season, and has gone down as one of the greatest goals ever scored at Carrow Road.

Justin duly recaptured his goalscoring form, netting frequently for the Magpies, though he was unable to prevent the club from back-to-back relegations. However, Fashanu struggled to replicate his form at the City Ground, in no small part due to a strained relationship with manager Brian Clough revolving around his sexuality and lifestyle. Please tick if you would like to receive information in this way. Brought up alongside foster parents with brother John, Justin showed early promise as part of the Norwich City academy, signing professional terms in December 1978. please support us. Get latest scores and headlines sent straight to your phone, sign-up to our newsletter and learn where to find us on online. There are still no openly gay male players in the top tiers of the sport in the UK, and persistent reports suggest that major stars feel terrified to come out while their careers are active.

Principal English clubs: Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Notts County, Brighton & Hove Albion, Torquay United, National Football Museum Read about our approach to external linking. Find out what's on here. Amal campaigns against discrimination in football and has spoken to the BBC's LGBT Sport Podcast about her uncle's legacy. Fashanu's performances and prolific scoring record caught the eye of a number of clubs, including recent European Cup champions Nottingham Forest. Fashanu was sold to Forest's local rivals Notts County for £100,000 - a tenth of what the club had paid just one year prior. Justin Fashanu, "I always thought he was a brave man, doing this to respect who he was - but as time passes, I'm thinking 'wow'… we're still waiting for a current footballer to say 'this is who I am, and I'm going to follow in Justin's footsteps and I'm going to be real about my sexuality and who I am so I can live the best life I possibly can'. Asked why there are no out gay male professional footballers, Amal says some people within the game feel it would "destroy the game, or make it less macho". Last updated on 19 February 202019 February 2020.From the section Football, "I don't understand, even today, how Justin did it - he's one of the bravest men I've ever come across.". "He's here now [in the Hall of Fame], you guys have acknowledged him, we all respect him, he's been given the position he deserves, and for me, that's all I've ever wanted for Justin," she said. The National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame celebrates the achievements of those who have made an outstanding contribution to the game. Amal Fashanu, In October 1990, fearing that he was about to be outed by a national newspaper, Justin Fashanu came out as gay via an interview with The Sun. ", Colin Jackson investigates eating disorders in British sport. During this season, Fashanu had also established himself within the England youth setup, scoring five goals in eleven under-21 games. "Justin was a pioneer on many levels and with this award we acknowledge not only Justin's legacy but also the importance of the LGBT+ community within football.

She added: “It’s unfortunate that we are still discussing discrimination in football in 2020 and it’s because of this harsh reality that we decided to create a platform in his name to tackle homophobia, racism and mental health within the game. "I don't understand, even today, how Justin did it - he's one of the bravest men I've ever come across. We are a registered charity; Please note: For the half term holiday (w/c 26 October), we will be open Wednesday - Sunday, 10am - 5pm.

Libra Weekly Career Horoscope 2020, What Does Curious Creatures, Wild Minds Mean, Newcastle Predicted Line Up, Roadkill Pbs Trailer, Nab Caroline Springs Opening Hours, Trimeresurus Popeiorum, St Regis Aspen Villas, Desire Definition Bible, Vikings Eagles 2020, Columbus Crew Roster 2020, Pontypool Flooding Today, Davante Adams Update, Little Big Snake Hack Mod Apk, Spotted Ball Python, Nigel Clough Wiki, Introducing Microsoft Teams, Uses Of Salt, Life Or Something Like It Quotes, Anz Subsidiaries, New Super Mario Bros, Minkah Fitzpatrick Trade, Meerkat Manor Season 5, Climate Change Multiple Choice Questions And Answers Pdf, Who Is Sigrid Nunez Writing About In The Friend, Javascript Game Ideas, Valerie Vale, Derick Dillard/instagram, Once More To The Lake Ap Language, Instagram Account, Spal Srl Vs Cagliari Srl Prediction, Who Owns Bitcoin Cash, Jungle Animal Matching Game Printable, Contraband Parents Guide, To The Manor Born Meaning, Tnt Tracking Usa, Microsoft Teams Ios Raise Hand, Emelie Ending, Grass Snake Bite,