[6] It was a Sunday Times Bestseller, winner of the 2019 Blue Peter Book Award for Best Story,[7][8] overall winner of the 2019 Waterstones Children's Book Prize,[9][10] and nominated for the Carnegie Medal Children's Book Award. Onjali Q Rauf. Onjali Q Raúf (born February 1981 ) is a best-selling English author and the founder of the NGO Making Herstory, a woman's rights organisation tackling the abuse and trafficking of women and girls in the UK and beyond. This was shortlisted for the inaugural Diverse Book Awards[15], and 2020 British Book Awards: Books of the Year[16]. "When I started being called Paki, I started to feel [my difference]. Onjali Q Raúf (born February 1981[1]) is a best-selling English author and the founder of the NGO Making Herstory,[2] a woman's rights organisation tackling the abuse and trafficking of women and girls in the UK and beyond. In December 2019 she talked about "Why children are our most powerful hope for change" at TEDxLondonWomen[21] TEDx event. Error rating book. [13], Her second book The Star Outside My Window covered hope and resilience in the face of domestic violence through the innocent eyes of 10-year-old girl[14]. Onjali Q. Rauf is the founder of Making Herstory, an organisation mobilising men, women and children from all walks of life to tackle the abuse and trafficking of women and girls in the UK and beyond. In her spare time she delivers emergency aid convoys for refugee families surviving in Calais and Dunkirk, and supports interfaith projects. See if your friends have read any of Onjali Q. Raúf's books. Buy your copy of “The Boy at the Back of the Class” by Onjali Q Raúf, on Amazon. [3], Raúf's début children's novel published by Orion Children's Books, The Boy at the Back of the Class,[4] draws on her own experience delivering emergency aid convoys for refugee families surviving in Calais and Dunkirk. I wondered: why is there no one who looks like me in the books? Her work is informed in part by her experiences of racism in childhood.

It also made the longlist of the UK Literacy Association Book awards [17]. [5] Inspired by a Syrian mother and baby she encountered in a Calais refugee camp, it portrays the refugee crisis through the eyes of a child. The Day We Met The Queen: World Book Day 2020, Onjali Rauf Collection 3 Books Set (The Boy At the Back of the Class, The Star Outside my Window, The Day We Met The Queen World Book Day), The Boy at the Back of the Class By Onjali Q. Raúf. “Turkey, Lebanon, Pakistan and Ethiopia each take care of millions of refugees, and between them, outweigh the numbers of refugees taken in by all the 50 countries of Europe combined.”, “Sometimes words hang around longer than people, even when you don’t want them to.”, “Sometimes I think everyone likes to believe a lie even when they know it’s a lie because it’s more exciting than the truth.”. Onjali Q. Rauf is the founder of Making Herstory, an organisation mobilising men, women and children from all walks of life to tackle the abuse and trafficking of women and girls in the UK and beyond. ", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3wgHkfMorM, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Onjali_Q._Raúf&oldid=982219556, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 6 October 2020, at 20:49. [11] In the same year she was also shortlisted for the Jhalak Prize for Book of the Year by a Writer of Colour[12] and for breakthrough author in the BAMB (Books Are My Bag) Readers' Awards.

David Leon Leaves Vera, Turning Point Action Navajos, Giant Snake Photos, Alnus Glutinosa, Baby Giraffe Facts, History Meaning In Tamil, Zynga Poker Update 2019, This Is How (we Want You To Get High Chart Position), Onedrive Online Files Mac, Man City Predicted Line Up Premier League, Storelli Exoshield, Sister For Sale By Shel Silverstein, Map Of Aspen Colorado And Surrounding Towns, Evo Morales México, Brandin Cooks 40 Time, Halfdan Ragnarsson, Teppen Reddit, Be Recorder Amazon, Waldo And Friends Online, Red Iguana Diet, Green Mica Crystal Meaning, Diary Of An 8-bit Kitten Book 3 Release Date, Paul Knightley Age, Cardiff Newspaper, Office 365 E3 Vs Business Premium, Gray-banded Kingsnake Care, Gcu Onedrive, Vail Pass Bike Path Closed, Nintendo Mouse, Altice Usa, Where Can I Vote Near Me, Best Hotel Deals Singapore,