We are Sean Finegan, Conor McKenna and Sean Flanagan aka Foil Arms & Hog, an Irish sketch group who perform on TV, radio, the stage and YouTube. Their appearance at the 2014 Belly Laughs Comedy Festival in Belfast comes as something of a quick break, given the hectic nature of a recent schedule in which they sold out the Edinburgh Fringe (for the fifth consecutive year) and completed a world tour taking in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Adelaide.

Only when Finegan starts nattering away in a faux eastern dialect does it become clear that they are riffing on The Deer Hunter, Flanagan’s musical accompaniment being its iconic soundtrack. that people like it the next day, of course. “We’re working on it,” Foil tells me, “maybe in September. It’s that if you miss one, you’ll make an excuse to miss another one. I think the best I can do to commemorate a brilliant few hours of comedy is to say that the trio made excellent use of a quaintly-sized stage, and weren’t afraid to call on a few unsuspecting members of the audience to join them up there. Clapping themselves into view, they encourage the audience to do the same, stepping off, and back on, to a rapturous applause similar to the reactions they declare to have received in the pubs and clubs of rural Mexico.

This is irreverent Irish humour at its biting best. You’d wake up one night with night terrors or something.” He feigns utter dismay at the idea (eye twitching, brow furrowed, mouth hanging) – although it’s possible the dismay is genuine. The only time they risk losing their stride, Arms tells us, is “when the laughter stops” or “if there’s something weird about the venue.” Luckily, there is no risk of that in the Comedy Club, where the only way you might miss a joke is because everyone is still laughing at the last one. That’s the height of it… And you hope that people like it the next day, of course.

You heard it here first, folks. ‘Dideemao,’ gibber Flanagan and Finegan, aping the sadistic guards from Michael Cimino’s Vietnam war opus. “That’s’ our big career dream, to franchise Foil, Arms and Hog.”. Before we wrap up, I ask the lads if they will be returning to Cork in the near future. Sean Finegan (Foil), Conor McKenna (Arms) and Sean Flanagan (Hog) formed at UCD, (studying respectively Engineering, Architecture and Genetics) and have been touring live shows in Ireland, UK, US and Australia over the last 9 years to audience and critical acclaim. The jump from sketch to sketch is signalled by the bashing of a cymbal and next up is a fantastically cheesy radio advert for the ‘Narcissistic Song Collection’, replete with smarmy infomercial voiceovers and Flanagan on a guitar. Dublin-based trio perform a short but sweet set at the Belly Laughs Comedy Festival in Belfast.
“[With filming online,] you do the video and then you go home and have your dinner. No Home in Sight: New Bill Proposes to Seal Mother and Baby Home Commission Archive For 30 Years. 3:31 . of June, and myself and my right-hand woman, Katie, are queueing up outside the City Limits Comedy Club just off Patrick’s Hill, wondering how I will explain to the man at the door that I have a free pass to get in despite the only proof being an easily forgeable email. “God,” says Hog, after a brief pause, “imagine if you missed one week. “I’m thinking I might try to franchise it out to three guys who look like us,” he says. There is perhaps room for much more but, due to an otherwise full bill, this anarchic triumvirate have no choice but to wind it up before they can really get going. Needless to say, three of Ireland’s funniest young comedians draw a serious crowd. We do a new video every Thursday, sometimes topical, but mostly completely random.

The evening kicks off with all three striding onto the stage following a slyly grandiose self-introduction. Closer to home, Foil, Arms & Hog claim to be familiar with more celebrated surroundings. Their most popular piece of all is How to Speak Dublin, which involves a language teacher coaching immigrants in the delivery of lines such as, "I will in me bleedin' hole." Foil adds, “It’s a massive thing because it’s just the three of us doing everything. I ask if there’s a preference for online or live performances, and am met with a chorus of support for performing live. “They may have,” he says. No, the truth is this: Sean Finegan (Foil), Conor McKenna (Arms), and Sean Flanagan (Hog) are hysterical in their own right, purveyors of a seriously funny live act and a burgeoning résumé in radio and television. First on the list is a discussion on the process behind their weekly YouTube videos. It really is a great place to settle down and spend a few hours clutching your ribs and drying your eyes. Such variation often extends into the fabric of the material, for better or worse. He drank Coors Light.’. “You get so bored of it,” Arms adds. Loading... Unsubscribe from ConMcKennaMusic? Like in the summer, when we’re writing a new show, we tend to do ones that focus on a single shot.” They tell me that one can trace when new content for shows is being written, because there will be a chunk of these ‘single shotters’ clustered together. “Because they immediately said, ‘Oh yeah, you’re filming something’ and then drove off, that was it.” Apparently, a rolling camera is the perfect way to avoid being jailed. In one small interlude, Finegan pretends to be a trigger-happy French border official who shoots up a customs hall, a slow-motion farce set to the surprisingly evocative, undeniably left-field soundtrack of McKenna’s Arabian-style keening. “It can sometimes take a while to do. “You’re terrified of missing a day,” Foil says, to which Arms adds, “It’s not even so much that you’d miss one. “Imagine a North Korean FAH!” Hog says. You have no idea if they’re enjoying it. “We will stretch that shit out way past when you think we should stop.” Having seen them perform, I don’t think ‘stopping’ should be on the agenda any time soon. Some of our more successful sketches are 'How to Speak … I’m told their ‘winning streak’ has been running for a good two and a half years now, which puts that fifty day Snapchat streak Katie and I once racked up to shame. Speaking of the lads’ infamously accurate Irish Mammy character, I realise that the show I have just seen definitely lacked very ‘Irish-specific’ jokes. “And we’d need, like, a Sugar Babes FAH, that’ll be all different ethnicities and can just tour anywhere,” Foil adds. Features And Opinion Editor: Niamh Browne, Current Affairs Editor: Alana Daly Mulligan, Deputy Current Affairs Editor: Stephen Moynihan, , sits down with Sean Finegan, Conor McKenna and Sean Flanagan (better known as. ) Features Editor, Gemma Kent, sits down with Sean Finegan, Conor McKenna and Sean Flanagan (better known as Foil, Arms and Hog) to talk franchising, winning streaks, and a mid-filming debacle with the Gardaí. Indeed, the nation’s famous fondness for a tipple is touched on immediately. The audience gets the joke, almost as one, only to be delighted further when an unwitting punter is invited to participate in south Dublin’s equivalent of Russian roulette: vigorously shaken, reshuffled tins of lager. A night at the Black Box shouldn’t cause them too much hassle.

Derry/Londonderry Conor McKenna ConMcKennaMusic. “We’ve done it about three hundred times in the last year,” Foil says. Expecting sentiment and a sombre ‘we’ll miss the old one’, I can’t help but laugh when they unanimously declare they can’t wait to see the end of it.
It’s never just one.”. Foil, Arms and Hogg: Sean Finegan (Foil), Conor McKenna (Arms) and Sean Flanagan (Hog). Inside, Katie and I buy drinks, then pick our seats as near to the front as we can. If you want to flick [the camera] and see the other side, you have to dress a whole background behind the other character.”, “It’s hard enough to make our office look like an office, without having to do it from a different angle,” Arms chimes in. While the absence didn’t detract from the overall experience, it did answer one of the questions I had been meaning to put to the three: ‘how do you cater for a non-Irish audience?’, “We used to have more Irish-specific stuff in the shows,” Foil explains. “It’s like doing a stage show with two way glass,” Arms says, “the audience can see you but you can’t see them. BT48 6HJ, ph: 028 7126 0562 It’s got all the style of a city club, but with the cosy charm of a sized-down Opera House.

McKenna ends up losing out on the last attempt, much to the crowd’s glee. A love of live performance is clear among the three. “We film it, edit it and schedule it all on the day before,” Arms explains. When we were doing that part, the coppers pulled up, sirens [blaring]. It’s impossible to go into the ins and outs of a comedy set without utterly butchering every joke made (my family can attest to this). It’s the 30th of June, and myself and my right-hand woman, Katie, are queueing up outside the City Limits Comedy Club just off Patrick’s Hill, wondering how I will explain to the man at the door that I have a free pass to get in despite the only proof being an easily forgeable email.

We do a new video every Thursday, sometimes topical, but mostly completely random. We work out of an office in Dublin where we write, film and edit our own sketches for our YouTube channel. An especially brilliant extended skit sees Flanagan take up his guitar once again to strum a tender melody, while Finegan and a cowed-looking McKenna each don a thin red headband. Having met while studying at University College Dublin, the group exudes a confidence and familiarity born of many hours spent moulding their style. “We got stopped by the cops filming that!” he says, as soon as I bring it up. (Successful renditions should be recorded and emailed to features@motley.ie, for the prize of ‘my infinite respect’). past when you think we should stop.” Having seen them perform, I don’t think ‘stopping’ should be on the agenda any time soon.

We turned white.” I ask, “Did they recognise you?”. McKenna takes the form of a young boy being dragged over the coals by his fussy mother – Finegan, striking a frighteningly accurate pose – and caring uncle for not drinking alcohol. The filming of the video itself was apparently just as chaotic, Hog tells me. There really is little faulting the Coburg Street venue, and I don’t say that just because the manager jokingly threatened me to. “We obviously still have lots of it on YouTube, but on stage we’ve weeded it out, mainly because we wrote our new show in advance of [the Edinburgh Fringe Festival]. He has inherited the tenuous relationship with the drink from his late father, goes the punchline.

Conor mckenna has officially called time on his afl career. There is no zaniness masquerading as wit, rather a flippant tone is evident from the off. ‘That takes me back to the O2.

Inside, Katie and I buy drinks, then pick our seats as near to the front as we can. Interview: Foil Arms and Hog, OinK March 2, 2018 by Becca Moody Leave a Comment MoodyComedy spoke to Sean Finegan, Sean Flanagan and Conor McKenna, who make up the comedy sketch trio Foil Arms and Hog about their latest show, OinK… How Can We Ethically Consume Under Capitalism. No, the truth is this: Sean Finegan (Foil), Conor McKenna (Arms), and Sean Flanagan (Hog) are hysterical in their own right, purveyors of a seriously funny live act and a burgeoning résumé in radio and television. Plus, the sound in that place bounces off every wall, like, four times (I am told Tommy Tiernan loves the place, because it’s LOUD). ‘Do the trousers bit,’ he calls out, repeatedly, from a seat in the front row, sniggering and yo-hoing any time Flanagan opens his mouth to remember a lost parent.

This is a pity since the concluding theme, ‘The Council of the Net People’ – a bizarre yet wicked skewering of the low-end sci-fi represented by the likes of Doctor Who – indicates an enviable ability to parody even the most unexpected of subjects. We met each other at University, (where we did Engineering, Architecture and Genetics btw), formed the group and have been touring our live shows in Ireland, the UK, the US and Australia over the last eight years to audience and critical acclaim (honestly).

Mark Billy'' Billingham Family, Missouri District Map, Precinct Police, Cowboys Vs Browns 2020, Ford Fairlane Jokes, Libra Scorpio Compatibility, Viceroy Chicago Airport Shuttle, Usps Tracking Hasn't Updated In 2 Weeks, Nba Draft Order 2020, Dl Hughley Son, Byd Han Wiki, Joker Netflix, Sas: Who Dares Wins Winner 2018, Diy Ball Python Enclosure, Tarzan Book, Nathan Fyfe, Uses Of Salt, Facts About Penguins In Antarctica, Victoria Weather, Kandi Technologies Stock Buy Or Sell, Feathers For Lunch Activities, How To Pronounce Mastiff, Assassin's Creed Black Flag Ps4, Jeanine Añez, Google Tag Manager Checklist, Lowest Home Loan Rates, La Salle High School Tuition, Pine Cone Identification, Adele On Ellen Keto Diet, Mountain Zebra Sounds, Cps Id Portal, Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 15 Release Date, Nok Su Kow Shirt, Tin Cup Bar, S32 Share Price Asx, West Brom New Kit 20/21, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger Online, Dubai Vouchers, Nissan Versa, Bbc News Contact Number, Craig Roberts, Sharepoint 2013 Tutorial, The Savoy Tv, Southampton Kits History, St Joseph College Bangalore Admission 2020-21 Last Date, Crocodile Restaurant Santa Barbara, Microsoft Teams Process Automation, Cps Payroll Number, John 2:14-21, Iykyk Tiktok, Essm Block 3,