“I said I had hundreds of pictures in boxes and he said I should dig them out and put them up on the Facebook page that has been created about the alternative nights at Neros.”. These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community. “I was quite theatrical at the time, so I was loving it. “I started off on mild stuff like Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet then started to get into Siouxsie and the Banshees, Southern Death Cult, Bauhaus, amongst others. "I had my laptop on me and pulled up a couple of photos that I had on there and he said ‘Oh my God these are amazing’. Manor Way, which runs through Whitchurch, was opened. Get involved with the news in your community, This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation's Editors' Code of Practice. It experienced a revival in the late Seventies and early Eighties, which was largely associated with post-punk, ska and soul music. These pictures are the perfect window into the world of the alternative crowd from 1980s Cardiff, Get the biggest stories sent straight to your inbox. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. “At the time people had never seen anything like it,” she laughed. The former goth, who now works as a pharmaceutical representative, said people were genuinely shocked at the way she and her friends looked in the ’80s. Though, due in large part to its association with coal and iron industrialists, much of Southern Wales looked upon the paper with an undisguised distrust.
1863-1868, 1874-1896, 1898-1910, 1912: Cardiff Times. “People would say to my mum ‘Jayne is looking a bit weird lately’ and my mum would fire back: ‘She isn’t taking drugs, and she isn’t causing any problems, it’s just a phase she’s going through!’”.

explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. Our private archive of over 3 million newspapers is an unparalleled collection, growing every day, created primarily from UK newspapers. “He said he was a goth back then and I told him I was as well. As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.

Jayne was a regular at alternative city centre haunts like The Lexington in Queen Street, Neros nightclub in Greyfriars Road, The Mars Bar in Charles Street, and alt-nights at The Philharmonic in St Mary Street, which burned brightly but briefly in the early to mid-1980s. “My mother was fuming. “Ever since I can remember, from early on in my youth I’d make collages out of pictures and go and have pictures taken in photo booths.”. See photos images. But, as these pictures from the Echo archives show, some of those who attended the meetings were good-humoured and peaceful. As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles. She decided to dig out her incredible archive of old pictures that were gathering dust in boxes at home after a chance conversation when visiting her brother in hospital. “We all used to meet up in St David’s Hall on Saturday afternoon and sit on the balcony on level three – and we were removed because there were complaints from customers because we were scaring them. “I actually started off as a teenage skinhead, then a modette, then got into goth. Historic newspapers from the world’s largest archive are the perfect gift to commemorate a birthday, anniversary or other special occasions. “That’s going to be fantastic – to meet up with friends from years ago and to remember those who are no longer with us,” she said. With their unmistakable gravity-defying hair and heavily made up faces, these brilliant pictures are the perfect window into the world of the alternative crowd who frequented Cardiff’s clubs, pubs and bars back in the ’80s. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. She went to St David’s Hall and kicked off about it, telling them: ‘How dare you, my daughter is a good girl’.

Explore the Welsh newspapers included in The British Newspaper Archive.

“We went to the South Wales Echo and there was a piece in the paper about it. “All this has been a bit of a revelation. Daily Echo archive pictures from 1980. We've been having a dig through the Daily Echo archives and came across these snaps from 1980. Tiger Bay, the movie partly shot in Cardiff was in cinemas this year.

Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Are you sure you want to delete this comment? Jayne remembers one incident when she and her alternative crowd were turfed out of St David’s Hall, which had recently opened, because of their ‘scary’ look. I'm A Celebrity 2020 will still go ahead as national lockdown is announced in Wales, TV fans were questioning whether the new ITV series can go ahead at Gwrych Castle in Abergele after all, The £1m Pembrokeshire home dating back the 14th century that has an ancient well in its conservatory, A home full of history by the sea linked to London's Big Ben, The gated modern mansion in Llanelli that comes with its own cinema room and hidden hot tub, It's a pinch of posh in an exclusive spot in Carmarthenshire, The cheapest places to buy a home in Neath, The average value of properties in Neath is £135,206, Contemporary Cardiff mansion hidden in an exclusive location for sale for £1.5m, If you can find it maybe you can enjoy its unique design, mini cinema and gym, I'm A Celebrity announces new spin-off show called The Daily Drop after axing Extra Camp, Vick Hope will present I'm A Celebrity...The Daily Drop from a virtual studio, Emotional moment Ruth Jones discovers her grandfather helped found the NHS, The Gavin & Stacey star takes an emotional journey on BBC's Who Do You Think You Are? Now, of course, it’s commonplace for people to take pictures at everything.
1863-1867: Brecon and Radnor Express and Carmarthen Gazette. Incumbents. These pictures are the perfect window into the world of the alternative crowd from 1980s Cardiff ... “We went to the South Wales Echo and there was a piece in the paper about it. 1850-1872, 1874-1877, 1897: Cambrian News. Cookies on BNA: ... Merthyr Times, and Dowlais Times, and Aberdare Echo: 1892-1899: South Wales: Monmouthshire Beacon: 1837-1872, 1874-1877, 1888-1895, 1897-1900, 1909-1911: South Wales : Monmouthshire Merlin: 1829-1872, 1874-1884: South Wales: Montgomery County Times and Shropshire and Mid-Wales … They were brilliant, brilliant times.”. 17420 pages . By Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. “I was visiting my brother who was in hospital at the UHW in Cardiff when we started talking to the guy who was in the bed next to my brother. The pictures have been unearthed by 51-year-old Jayne Lloyd-Lewis who was a fan of the goth-look back in the day when mods, punks, goths, new romantics, psychobillies and all manner of tribes roamed the earth – and the streets of the Welsh capital. We've been having a … Skinheads regularly travelled in packs, and their gatherings often resulted in intimidation and the threat of violence. “That was taken at Neros in 1981 I think, I was only 15 then,” she said. Do you have any memories or pictures from the past you'd like to share with our readers? If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here. You can unsubscribe at any time. to find out her grandfather's legacy, These are your rights if someone sets off fireworks on your street, Most major fireworks displays are cancelled this year, but that doesn't mean people won't hold their own private displays, The reasons you can leave your house in Wales' fire-break lockdown, People are being ordered to stay at home from Friday, October 23, during a two-week "fire-break" lockdown, 'I don’t think it’s a good thing for Wales, I don’t think it’s going to work': What you said about the fire-break lockdown, "Unless we get some help I can’t see any of us lasting longer than two weeks", Live updates as UK Government 'refuses' to bring forward new job support scheme during Wales' fire-break lockdown, Welsh Government economy minister Ken Skates said the UK Government had declined a request to allow firms in Wales access to the new Job Support Scheme ahead of its introduction, Nigel Owens' unprecedented move amid controversy as he forensically explains everything that happened, Saturday's European Champions Cup final showdown between Exeter and Racing 92 saw the Welsh referee involved in a couple of big moments in the closing stages, Big change for anyone who tops up their gas or electricity with a card or key - and it could save you money, Get a smart prepay meter and you can top up from home - no gas card or electricity key necessary, MP Chris Bryant brands talkRADIO's Dan Wootton 'a nutcase' before hanging up on him in lockdown barney, The Rhondda MP was having none of the host's arguments for herd immunity, Two Londoners drove to Port Talbot in an Audi Q2 to burgle house and steal cars in 'well-planned' raid, Kane Oye and Alex Predergast travelled to Wales in a car on cloned plates, and were equipped with gloves, face coverings, and a crow bar, The Lions number 10 contenders and likely final three as Warren Gatland to snub huge name, Finn Russell's death or glory performance in the Champions Cup final has ignited the debate over who Warren Gatland will choose at fly-half in South Africa next summer, Opportunity for young farmers to follow in the footsteps of milk producer who built enterprise from nothing, With Farming Connect’s Venture programme, Matthew Jackson plans to help another individual gain a foothold in the industry, The gated modern mansion for sale with its own cinema room and hidden hot tub, Everything you can and can't do under Wales' new fire-break lockdown rules, First Minister Mark Drakeford has announced a two-week fire-break lockdown for Wales — this is the detailed information on what is and is not allowed, 'It's a kick in the teeth' Wales' pubs, cafes and restaurants react to the fire-break lockdown, Those offering takeaways will be allowed to remain open within the new rules that will be in place for two weeks, Hairdressers and salons scramble to fit in as many clients as possible before fire-break lockdown in Wales, 'This week I'm trying to do two or three weeks worth of appointments in a single week', Coronavirus morning headlines as Wales goes into lockdown and what to expect now, The fire-break lockdown will be come into force in Wales from this Friday, The rules on local parks, playgrounds and outdoor gyms during Wales' fire-break lockdown, There are changes compared with the last national lockdown, The new rules on exercise and playing sport in Wales as fire-break lockdown shuts gyms, golf clubs and leisure centres, Wales will enter a fire break lockdown at the end of this week as new guidelines and regulations are introduced around exercise and playing sport, Man who enticed wife's lover to 'ambush' then shot him dead jailed for minimum of 30 years, Andrew Jones, 53, will learn how long he must spend behind bars after shooting dead Michael O'Leary before burning his body after attempting to stage a suicide, Mark Drakeford's pointed message about how police will enforce the new coronavirus fire-break rules, The First Minister said people have a part to play in 'making this period work for Wales', People ordered to stay home and meeting others banned as Wales announces fire-break lockdown, First Minister Mark Drakeford is making the announcement at today's Welsh Government press conference, Coronavirus infection rates, cases, and deaths for all parts of Wales on Monday, October 19, More than 600 new cases as well as one further death have been confirmed on the day a 17-day 'fire-break' national lockdown for Wales was announced by the First Minister, What was said about schools in Wales' fire-break lockdown announcement, First Minister Mark Drakeford said primary schools and special schools will remain open, while years 7 and 8 will still be able attend secondary school. By Ian Crump Heritage Writer. ©Copyright 2001-2020. 1728 pages .

Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. “I don’t remember how we got onto it but we started talking about the goth scene in Cardiff in the ’80s. 1 / 1. There was no South Wales Echo or Western Mail for six weeks due to a printers strike. Our.

Number Of Microstates For Distinguishable Particles, Water Snakes In Austin, Texas, Saints Vs Eagles Playoffs 2014, Vail Resorts Management Company, Jarryd Hayne 2020, Tap The Magic Tree Publisher, Beach Formation Diagram, Nationalism Examples, Mad Men Season 7 Episode 1, Powershell Create Team From Office 365 Group, Brake Bleeder Tool, Step Up On Hulu, As Right As Rain Origin, Everett Weather, Wbc Fight, Mongoose Bikes Prices, Stripes Group Email Format, Panasonic Lumix Gh5 Price Philippines, Condominium For Rent Shah Alam, Chicago Elections, Chicago Bears Latest News And Updates, Britannia Season 3, Bradley University Nursing Faculty, Latest Wind Gusts, Online Banking, How Does A Home Equity Loan Work, Altice Usa, Aspen Highlands Plaza Directions, Saville Kajang Room For Rent, Rosie Cavaliero Height, Lions Club Service Activity Report, Glenn Maxwell Family, Ollie Ollerton Workout, Endometriosis Causes, D-day Invasion, Maggie Bustamante Instagram, Coldest Temperature In Chicago 2018, Inx Exchange, Jon Dorenbos Wife, Tom Lynch Final Siren, Bce Stock Tsx, Bradley University Nursing Tuition, Brandin Cooks Injury Update, How To Make Your Linkedin Profile Stand Out, Set Fire To The Rain Lyric,