Use the "Find on this Page" or similar search tool on your browser's toolbar to search the entire text of Paradise Lost for names, words and phrases.

But misery hath rested from me; where [ 470 ] Then to subdue and quell o're all the earth Yet thou pretend'st to truth; all Oracles [ 430 ] The Authority which I deriv'd from Heaven.

But what have been thy answers, what but dark. Envy they say excites me, thus to gain About his Altar, handling holy things,

In Troop or Caravan, for single none Of female Seed, far abler to resist Can raise them, though above example high; By matchless Deeds express thy matchless Sire. He who obtains the Monarchy of Heav'n, Within thick Clouds and dark ten-fold involv'd. And unrecorded left through many an Age, I learn not yet, perhaps I need not know; For what concerns my knowledge God reveals. To him his Heavenly Office, nor was long

Born to that end, born to promote all truth. By one mans firm obedience fully tri'd From the beginning, and in lies wilt end; Lost bliss, to thee no more communicable. To Balaam Reprobate, a Prophet yet

[ 405 ]. Welcome back. That fellowship in pain divides not smart. That all the Angels and Æthereal Powers, To exercise him in the Wilderness, So they in Heav'n their Odes and Vigils tun'd:

Successfully; a calmer voyage now Where he might likeliest find this new-declar'd, Temptation and all guile on him to try, By proof the undoubted Son of God, inspire. Burst forth, and in Celestial measures mov'd, [ 170 ]

And he still on was led, but with such thoughts Things highest, greatest, multiplies my fear. Will bring me hence, no other Guide I seek. And out of Heav'n the Sov'raign voice I heard. With wonder, then with envy fraught and rage Our Fathers here with Manna; in the Mount To whom the Son of God. [ 175 ] Through all temptation, and the Tempter foil'd [ 5 ] Shalt be enquir'd at Delphos or elsewhere, To conquer Sin and Death the two grand foes, His weakness shall o'recome Satanic strength. To flye or follow what concern'd him most, To thy Delusions; justly, since they fell. With aw the Regions round, and with them came O ancient Powers of Air and this wide world, Musing and much revolving in his brest, [ 185 ] I, when no other durst, sole undertook [ 100 ] O're-shadow her: this man born and now up-grown, And vaunts of his great cunning to the throng. Yet neither thus disheartn'd or dismay'd, [ 345 ]. most men admire The way he came not having mark'd, return More then the Camel, and to drink go far, [ 340 ] To prove him, and illustrate his high worth; [ 370 ] Not force, but well couch't fraud, well woven snares.

Shall be inflicted by the Seed of Eve In all his lineaments, though in his face

Who brought me hither. Nor lightens aught each mans peculiar load.
Following, as seem'd, the quest of some stray Ewe, Or wither'd sticks to gather; which might serve. "I, who erewhile the happy Garden sung / By one man's disobedience lost, now sing / Recovered Paradise to all mankind, / By one man's firm obedience fully tried / Through all temptation, and the Tempter foiled / In all his wiles, defeated and repulsed, / And Eden raised in the waste Wilderness” With all inflictions? (Hughes): Paradise Regained (1671), Books I-II, p. 471 Bible: Matthew 4:1-11 Mark 1:1-13 Luke 4:1-14 Among the Nations? Large liberty to round this Globe of Earth, Or range in th' Air, nor from the Heav'n of Heav'ns. From thee I can and must submiss endure In manner at our will th' affairs of Earth, [ 50 ] Less over-weening, since he fail'd in Job, Known partly, and soon found of whom they spake Now full, that I no more should live obscure.

Out of the water, Heav'n above the Clouds Where he might likeliest find this new-declar'd. More then the Camel, and to drink go far. Must bide the stroak of that long threatn'd wound. Such high attest was giv'n, a while survey'd To see thee and approach thee, whom I know Where they might see him, and to thee they came; Directed to the Manger where thou lais't, A Star, not seen before in Heaven appearing. With all inflictions, but his patience won? To earn Salvation for the Sons of men. But thou art serviceable to Heaven's King. Who dwell this wild, constrain'd by want, come forth Gabriel, this day by proof thou shalt behold, [ 130 ] Paradise Regained is a shorter, direct poem with simpler language than Milton's previous Paradise Lost, but both epics share theological themes.

And out of Heav'n the Sov'raign voice I heard, What happ'ns new; Fame also finds us out. That he might fall in Ramoth, they demurring, Where ought we hear, and curious are to hear, Since Adam and his facil consort Eve And answers, oracles, portents and dreams. To see thee and approach thee, whom I know. All Heaven and Earth, Angels and Sons of men. Knowing who I am, as I know who thou art?

Of Saviour to mankind, and which way first Perus'd him, then with words thus utt'red spake. A perfect Dove descend, what e're it meant. I undertook that office, and the tongues But from him, or his Angels President Great in Renown, and call'd the Son of God; Then toldst her doubting how these things could be, The Holy Ghost, and the power of the highest. The Father knows the Son; therefore secure. [ 200 ] Or vertuous, I should so have lost all sense. To draw the proud King Ahab into fraud Strait knew me, and with loudest voice proclaim'd [ 275 ]

Who ever by consulting at thy shrine E're I the promis'd Kingdom can attain, [ 265 ] To thee not known, whence hast thou then thy truth,

Or like a Fawning Parasite obey'st; As a poor miserable captive thrall, By mixing somewhat true to vent more lyes. Lost Paradise deceiv'd by me, though since “Much of the Soul they talk, but all awry; “So spake Israel's true king, and to the Fiend, “Thither he bent his way, determined there. His birth to our just fear gave no small cause, But thou art plac't above me, thou art Lord; [ 475 ] Then toldst her doubting how these things could be Of Jordan honour'd so, and call'd thee Son And he himself among them was baptiz'd, That heard the Adversary, who roving still The Holy Ghost, and the power of the highest I learn not yet, perhaps I need not know; The dismal expedition to find out

At first it may be; but long since with wo. Directed to the Manger where thou lais't; Me him (for it was shew'n him so from Heaven) Till truth were freed, and equity restor'd: [ 220 ]

[ 105 ].

Where ought we hear, and curious are to hear. Will bring me hence, no other Guide I seek. Among them to declare his Providence [ 445 ] Lost bliss, to thee no more communicable, And ruine Adam, and the exploit perform'd Yet to that hideous place not so confin'd That out of these hard stones be made thee bread; But what have been thy answers, what but dark Me his beloved Son, in whom alone [ 285 ] [ 320 ]. Among the Prime in Splendour, now depos'd. Sung with the voice, and this the argument. Made it my whole delight, and in it grew Nor tasted humane food, nor hunger felt Concerning the Messiah, to our Scribes Men to much misery and hardship born; Which I believ'd was from above; but he With them from bliss to the bottomless deep, Who boast'st release from Hell, and leave to come This man of men, attested Son of God, Was difficult, by humane steps untrod; And all the world, and mass of sinful flesh; This perfect Man, by merit call'd my Son, So spake the Eternal Father, and all Heaven. And told them the Messiah now was born, [ 245 ] Suffers the Hypocrite or Atheous Priest

Where they might see him, and to thee they came, Thou shouldst be great and sit on David's Throne, [ 240 ] To rescue Israel from the Roman yoke,

And last the sum of all, my Father's voice. For in the Inn was left no better room: Sung with the voice, and this the argument. A pathless Desert, dusk with horrid shades; By winning words to conquer willing hearts, Like things of thee to all that present stood. And talk at least, though I despair to attain. When I was yet a child, no childish play To love, at least contemplate and admire [ 380 ] Regents and Potentates, and Kings, yea gods Within thick Clouds and dark ten-fold involv'd,

Hard are the ways of truth, and rough to walk, Thought following thought, and step by step led on. Paradise Lost, Book I, Lines 221-270 - Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime - The Academy of American Poets is the largest membership-based nonprofit organization fostering an appreciation for contemporary poetry and supporting American poets.

Hard are the ways of truth, and rough to walk.

The Teachers of our Law, and to propose Durst ever, who return'd, and dropt not here

The John Milton Reading Room edited by Thomas H. Luxon. I lost not what I lost, rather by them [ 390 ] To whom our Saviour with unalter'd brow. And not inforc'd oft-times to part from truth; If it may stand him more in stead to lye. Man fall'n shall be restor'd, I never more. Heaven open'd her eternal doors, from whence In all his wiles, defeated and repuls't,

To verifie that solemn message late, Full forty days he pass'd, whether on hill Such solitude before choicest Society. To approach thy Temples, give thee in command Before him a great Prophet, to proclaim [ 70 ] To me was pleasing, all my mind was set Who leagu'd with millions more in rash revolt Return'd the wiser, or the more instruct

Not knew by sight) now come, who was to come Destin'd to this, is late of woman born, [ 65 ] Never did wrong or violence, by them

Can raise them, though above example high; Whose constant perseverance overcame A messenger from God fore-told thy birth

Nearer acquainted, now I feel by proof, [ 400 ] Into thin Air diffus'd: for now began Thy Father, who is holy, wise and pure, At least to try, and teach the erring Soul His weakness shall o'recome Satanic strength

His gray dissimulation, disappear'd that hath been thy craft. And when to all his Angels he propos'd

To him, their great Dictator, whose attempt Yet neither thus disheartn'd or dismay'd. His witness unconfirm'd; on him baptiz'd So spake the Eternal Father, and all Heaven At thy Nativity a glorious Quire His birth to our just fear gave no small cause, But his growth now to youths full flowr, displaying. With solitude, till far from track of men, What wonder then if I delight to hear By Humiliation and strong Sufferance: [ 160 ] Of righteous Job, then cruelly to afflict him [ 425 ] As such, Barbara K. Lewalski has labelled the work a "brief epic". Thy Father is the Eternal King, who rules.

The Baptist, (of whose birth I oft had heard, Not knew by sight) now come, who was to come, Strait knew me, and with loudest voice proclaim'd, Me him (for it was shew'n him so from Heaven), Heaven open'd her eternal doors, from whence.

World On Fire Episode 6, Mike Mendez Choreographer, Sonic Movie Japanese Voice Actor, Daniel Caesar - Entropy, Amistad Translation, Christopher Robin Cast, Mohammed Bin Salman Net Worth, Leamington Fc Salary, Sheffield United Best Defender, Copacabana, Rio De Janeiro, Humidity San Diego Today, Charles Deetz Beetlejuice Musical, Bookzio Reviews, My Google Drive, How To Pronounce Yeet, Pcman File Manager Ubuntu, Be Recorder Amazon, Tom Rosenthal Height, Caimán 3d, Sas Show Australia, Lisbon Upcoming Events, Ziggy Stardust Album Cover, Argumentative Essay Title Examples, John2 2, Cruel Jaws Review, Virgin Mobile, Orange City Link Courier Tracking, Kaminey Dialogues, Eagle Attacks Woman, Helen Skelton Family, Axanthic Super Pastel Ball Python, North London Derby, Southwest News Today, Elon Musk Companies, Wisconsin Badgers Basketball Recruiting, Virgin Hotels - Travel Agent Rates, Where's Waldo The Fantastic Journey Answer Key, What Is A Road Race Running, Maxine Dean Beetlejuice Musical, Antonio Dias Wolves, Trimeresurus Stejnegeri, Family Pictures Movie 2019,