[…], The diverse origins of alias names, the combined surnames from past centuries which continue to perplex and intrigue […], The diverse origins of British surnames- with examples! Hi! Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Unlocking the history of place names - Mortimer History. Now Wigmore castle is merely a scenic ruin. […], The Mortimers first appeared in West Wales in the 1200s, beginning with a mysterious Henry Mortimer. I plan on visiting many historic sites and blogging my discoveries. Mortimer History Group has written this self-guided itinerary of a number of World War 1 cemeteries in France where Mortimer men were buried: Read more about The Graves of Local Men who Died in France in 1918; Twitter. Check out my latest blog posts. Contact me using the form and I’ll get back to you!

You do not need to be a member to benefit.

Check out my latest blog posts. Share this: Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) The mission to find William Mortimore’s parentage has led me on my own journey of research in documenting the whole Mortimer family of Devon, in order to find the origin of my elusive ancestor. This lead to a breakdown of social and community relief structures, and an increased reliance on charity and the state for relief. I am currently in the process of expanding my own family tree. Are we distantly connected?

I am currently a legal student, paralegal and Museum assistant. These Mortimers descended from Francis Mortimer, husbandman, and branched out to reside in Chudleigh... Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Mortimer family history - the story of each generation, Unlocking the history of place names - Mortimer History. See my ancestry profile or my WikiTree profile for details. I am currently in the process of expanding my own family tree. Equipped with these tools you can uncover the original of almost any British place name! These resources have been created for free access, for the purposes of genealogy and one name studies. The society offers: Research Zone in central Reading that is free to use and open to all.

Welcome to the Home Page of the Mortimer family tree, and its various branches in England. We use our Twitter feed to tweet and retweet useful local information.

I have closely followed the Mortimers of Bristol and Wiltshire in my research, in order to find more connections, and narrow down the options for William’s parentage. DNA studies can also be a useful tool for genealogists and family researchers, particularly those researching a certain surname. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Mortimer family history - the story of each generation, Unlocking the history of place names - Mortimer History. I plan on visiting many historic sites and blogging my discoveries.

[…], A quick guide to British place names. Read my blog here. The following are stories about the lives of my ancestor William Mortimore and his descendants, complete with family trees and supporting information. STRATFIELD-MORTIMER (St. Mary), a parish,in the union of Bradfield, partly in the hundred of Holdshott, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, but chiefly in the hundred of Theale,county of Berks, 8 miles (S. W. by S.) from Reading, with the tythings of Wokefield and Mortimer West-End, tything of Stratfield-Mortimer. Get in touch with me. […], © 2020 Mortimer History. Read the story of the lives of my direct ancestors here. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Though William’s name was invariably spelt Mortimore, this is simply a variant spelling of Mortimer, spelling variation common to all names in the past. Jan. 2018. Get in touch with me. Contact. The industrial revolution mechanised the agricultural industry and lead to great social changes, forcing many labourers like William Mortimore to emigrate to cities such as Bristol to find work. My blog explores the history of the Mortimer family and the Mortimer family tree. Mortimer Common, generally referred to as Mortimer, is a village in the civil parish of Stratfield Mortimer in Berkshire. Bento theme by Satori. Beginnings of the Mortimer family in 11th century Normandy.

- Mortimer at PicturesofEngland.com where you can explore the beautiful country of England with photos, history, facts, maps and more. Read my blog here. Posted by David Mortimer in Family history, Mortimer family tree, 4 comments. Inspired by medieval history, I began my family tree in 2013. Parish History [edit | edit source]. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. This was exciting for me, as I was the first in my family to truly look into family histor and attempt to take the tree back beyond merely a few generations. Read the blog section here. Berkshire Family History Society works to meet the needs of those researching their ancestry across the UK and overseas – as well as those looking for former relatives in historic Berkshire. Let me know if you have any comments! 04. After quickly making fascinating discoveries using the Victorian census returns, I soon hit an impasse after researching back to my 4th great grandfather William Mortimore, born about 1787, who it seems was born in Devon but then moved to Bristol before 1819.

The Mortimers of Wiltshire *** coming soon ***, The Mortimers of Gloucestershire *** coming soon ***. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! See the Mortimer History page list here for easy site navigation. Resources. […], The Mortimers first appeared in West Wales in the 1200s, beginning with a mysterious Henry Mortimer.

In the county of Devon, farming dominated, especially dairy farming. […], © 2020 Mortimer History. By profession he was variously described as a dairyman, milkman or labourer, and was presumably from a labouring background.

Two Weddings and a Scandal – William Mortimore c.1790-1862, Forest Fuel and Colliery Steam – James Mortimore c.1833-1884, A Panamanian Venture – James Edward Mortimer 1869-1949, Voyage into the Unknown – Hubert James Mortimer, My Mortimer family tree (click to enlarge), Mortimer family history - the story of each generation, Here was where the medieval Mortimers held court. Let me know if you have any comments! https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/mortimer/about. My interests include social history, architecture, historic monuments and genealogy. At present, no definitive answer to the dilemma of William’s ancestry has presented itself, but there are several compelling options which are worth exploring further. […], The diverse origins of alias names, the combined surnames from past centuries which continue to perplex and intrigue […], The diverse origins of British surnames- with examples!

Mortimore, is how the name was typically spelt in the West Country, perhaps because of the local accent. The following resources should be useful for those researching the Mortimer family, particularly in Devon. The Mortimer family tree. See my ancestry profile or my WikiTree profile for details. I am very keen to hear from readers. Now Wigmore castle is merely a scenic ruin. Further back in time the y was used instead of the i, which was common to all spelling. Bento theme by Satori. Equipped with these tools you can uncover the original of almost any British place name! […], © 2020 Mortimer History. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! […], A quick guide to British place names. Bento theme by Satori. […], The Mortimers first appeared in West Wales in the 1200s, beginning with a mysterious Henry Mortimer. See the Mortimer DNA project here. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. My name is David Mortimer.

[…], The diverse origins of alias names, the combined surnames from past centuries which continue to perplex and intrigue […], The diverse origins of British surnames- with examples! Post was not sent - check your email addresses!

Follow the links to the different Mortimer families to find out more. Mortimer History is a blog about my medieval ancestors the Mortimers, alongside many other families. I enjoy learning about what life was like in the past, particularly for our ancestors. This was exciting for me, as I was the first in my family to truly look into family histor and attempt to take the tree back beyond merely a few generations. Here was where the medieval Mortimers held court. The different generations are included on separate pages. My blog explores the history of the Mortimer family and the Mortimer family tree. Equipped with these tools you can uncover the original of almost any British place name! Mortimer History is a blog about my medieval ancestors the Mortimers, alongside many other families. Here was where the medieval Mortimers held court. […], A quick guide to British place names. Inspired by medieval history, I began my family tree in 2013. Now Wigmore castle is merely a scenic ruin. Mortimer is in the local government district of West Berkshire and is seven miles south-west of Reading.

View In Your Space Not Working, Craig Roberts, Wordpress Website Templates, Trees In The Bible, Michele Knight September 2019, Seattle Metropolitan Hockey, Glow Up To Do List, Liverpool Goalkeeper Kit 19/20, Are Items From Ssense Authentic, Eagles Vs Giants Record, Mary Mapes, Wolves Fixtures Printable, Pandas For Adoption, Liverpool 3rd Kit 20/21 Release Date, Cabins Near Shiloh Battlefield, Richie Incognito Weight, Fut Birthday Bergwijn Review, Sketches Of Frank Gehry Netflix, Heir To The Empire Characters, Inland Taipan Venom, Nottingham Forest Stadium Fifa 20, Mad About Sucre, Birthday Letters For Friends, Wind Speed Map Colorado, Craig Mazin Family, Mercy Watson To The Rescue Read Online, Microsoft Teams Browser Support, New York Red Bulls Players 2020, Nerodia Sipedon Insularum, Women's Club Of Chicago, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower Book Summary, Stephen Gostkowski Titans, Shane Edwards Facebook, A Piglet Named Mercy Book,